Cannon Township Homes for Sale
The area that would become Cannon Township was originally attached to neighboring Plainfield. In 1837 Andrew Watson brought his family to Cannon and built the first farm in the township. Over the next decade many other pioneers arrived and settled. In 1845 the township was split from Plainfield and took its present name.The state legislature organized Cannon Township as “Churchtown” in 1846. At the first town meeting, held in 1848, it was renamed Cannon, after Cannonsburg, the largest village. The earliest land claims date from 1835. Families began settling permanently in 1839. Zebulon Rood purchased 240 acres of land in 1840 and built Cannon’s first house, a log structure. He also cut the first road, making it possible to transport goods across Bear Creek. During the nineteenth and early twentieth centuries, the production of wheat, wool, corn, apples and other fruits supported the economy. This building served as the township hall from 1890 until 1987, when it became the Cannon Historical Museum.
The township took its name from the small settlement of Cannonsburgh, which had been founded in 1842 at the direction of LeGrand Cannon, described as an eastern capitalist. The hamlet had 2 mills and a store by 1845, and the town was platted to encourage residential growth. Mr. Cannon was proud of his little town, and provided a fitting gift in appreciation: a small cannon inscribed with his name and date. The cannon was used by the townspeople to commemorate holidays, such as the 4th of July, until someone was hurt firing the ordnance. The cannon was then buried to prevent further injuries, but was later discovered and refitted for firing. Unfortunately, another person was subsequently injured while firing the cannon, and again it was buried, and has not been found again to this day.